The Dublin Writers Museum opened in 1991 to house a history and celebration of literary Dublin.The building is an 18th century mansion refurbished and occupied by George Jameson from the famous John Jameson and Sons Distillery.
The Writers Museum in Dublin. George Jameson, Production Manager at the family distillery, John Jameson and Sons, lived in this house from 1891 to 1914. Jameson is largely responsible for the present appearance of the house, as it was under his auspices that extensive restoration work was carried out between 1891 and 1895, including the installation of the stained glass windows, bearing Jameson’s monogram, coat of arms and the date 1894.
Facsimile of The Book of Kells, an eighth century illuminated manuscript of the Four Gospels, presented by Trinity College November 1997.
A Tale Of A Tub by Jonathan Swift. Third Edition, printed for John Nutt, London, 1704.
The oldest known version of “Molly Malone” printed around 1790. The author is unknown.
Moore’s Irish Melodies. This 1859 edition was published by James Duffy.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Bronze Portrait head by Joseph Coplans 1932
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) Bronze portrait bust by Jeanne Rynhart, 1991
Easter Rising 1916
James Joyce (1882-1941) by Michael Farrell
Two portrait photographs of Oscar Wilde
By Napoleon Sarony, 1882
The Audience: Irish Writers – Blue
By Mia Funk
Oil on canvas 2009
“Included in the group are James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, W.B. Yeats, Brendan Behan, Oscar Wilde, G.B. Shaw, J.M. Synge, Edna O”Brien, Seamus Heaney, Patrick Kavanagh and Sean O’Casey.”