“Located in the heart of the St. James’s Gate Brewery, the Guinness Storehouse is Ireland’s most popular tourist attraction. It’s the home of the Black Stuff, the heart of Dublin and an unforgettable start to your Irish adventure." Guinness Storehouse
The Guinness Brewing Story
“Find out exactly what it takes to make beer the Guinness way. From our famous strain of yeast to the passion shared by all our brewers, we go to extraordinary lengths to bring you the world’s number-one stout.”
Opened in 2000 The Storehouse is seven floor high and tells the Guinness brewing story. The entrance takes you to the bottom of the world’s largest pint glass. Starting at the ground level with the combination of four ingredients – water, barley, hops and yeast. Other floors cover the history of Guinness advertising and finally the top floor is where the world-famous Gravity Bar serves up delicious pints of Guinness. " Guiness Storehouse
“Model of “The Miranda Guinness” by H.D. Turner, Modelmaker, Somerset. The Miranda Guinness was built in 1976 by Charles Hill and Sons for Arthur Guinness Son & Co (Dublin) Ltd. She was the largest surviving beer tanker ship of her kind in the world until Guinness sold her.” Guinness Storehouse
“Castleknock built in 1930 for Arthur Guinness Son & Co (Dubline) Ltd by Vickers (Ireland) Ltd. Engined by McKie & Baxter, Glasgow. Ten barges of this type carried Guinness stout from Victoria Quay to the Port of Dublin from 1930. The last barge was sold in August 1961. Model by Bassett-Lowke Ltd.”
When Victoria Quay was constructed in 1873, Guinness commissioned a fleet of barges. Barges built between 1877 and 1913 were named after Irish rivers and those built between 1926 and 1931 were named after villages around Dublin – like “Castleknock”. Guinness Storehouse
“The Guinness Harp - The famous Downhill Harp dating back to 1702, on display here in the advertising gallery was purchased by GUINNESS in 1963, to ensure its continued preservation. The harp was made by Cormac O’Kelly of Ballinascreen and played by the blind harpist, Hempson (or O’Hampsey) in the 18th century.
The GUINNESS harp, which serves the brand as its famous emblem, is a depiction of a medieval Irish instrument known as the O’Neill or Brian Boru harp. Currently housed in Trinity College Dublin, the original was made around the 14th century, although the identity of the craftsman and their patron remain lost in the mists of time.
GUINNESS first adopted the image in 1862, so when the 1922 Irish Free State Government chose it as the symbol of the nation, they had to use a mirror image to avoid trademark issues. In honour of the now world-renown logo, GUINNESS named it’s first lager Harp in 1960.” Guinness Storehouse
“A Fish on a Bicycle - TV ad ‘Bicycle’ was produced in 1996 as part of the ‘Not Everything in Black and White Makes Sense Campaign’ by Ogilvy and Mather. “ Guinness Storehouse
The world-famous Gravity Bar
Guinness Storehouse is open 7 days a week. Tickets can be purchased online which is recommended.